A little while ago I had a sudden craving for popcorn, not microwave popcorn, but REAL popcorn. So I went out and bought myself some popcorn kernels and started popping! I really had fun popping and creating all kinds of flavoured popcorn. I decided I had to add the old fashioned way of popping corn to my list of basic recipes. Just because it’s fun and because it’s a nice snack that can be healthy if you don’t add too much unhealthy stuff to it!
These are all the ingredients you need, oil and popcorn kernels.
Add a little bit of oil to a saucepan, just enough to coat the bottom. You want to pop the kernels, not fry them.
Add a tablespoon of kernels to the oil.
Put on the lid, and wait. Shake the pan lightly when the kernels start popping. Don’t take off the lid though!!
While you’re waiting for the popcorn, take a large bowl and put some paper towel in it. Ready to receive the popcorn!
When the popping slows down to about 3 seconds a pop your popcorn is ready. If you’re like me and add too much popcorn to the saucepan you’ll know the popcorn is ready when your lid starts to rise…
Doesn’t that just look great?!
Transfer your popped popcorn to your bowl and season to taste!
There’s a lot you can do with popcorn, make it sweet with sugar or savoury with salt or add some cheese to the mix. Next week I’ll write down a sweet version to give you some ideas.
|How To Pop Popcorn (the old fashioned way)||
- 2 tbsp unpopped popcorn kernels
- Put some paper towel into a large bowl and set aside.
- In a saucepan put a little bit of oil, enough to coat the entire bottom. Turn on a moderate heat.
- Add 1 tbsp of popcorn kernels to the saucepan and put on a lid. When you hear the popcorn kernels pop shake the pan lightly (don’t take off the lid!).
- When the popping slows down (approx. 3 seconds in between the next pop) take of the heat and transfer to the large bowl to cool down.
- Repeat the process with the rest of the kernels.